Made this the other day and a friend has requested for the recipe. Since I got it from recipe book and need to type it out, I thought might as well share it here for everyone. :)
It's very easy to make actually since I got it from Kids' cookbook. I normally use a 12-hole tartlet tin to make this. Original recipe is for making about 4. So I have slightly modified the recipe for my own convenient.
The toads in this dish are little sausages, while the holes are made in a batter.
Time to cook: 20 minutes
Preparation: 15 minutes
Ingredients (for making about 12)
- plain flour, 180ml/12 tbsp
- salt, a pinch
- eggs, 3
- milk, 180ml/12 tbsp
- cocktail sausages, 12 (original recipe is using 3 chipolata sausages)
- vegetable oil, 5ml/1 tsp
- baked beans and steamed green beans, to serve
- Sift the flour into a large bowl. Add a pinch of salt.
- Make a well (hole) in the centre. Whisk the egg and add to the well. Gradually whisk in the milk, beating until a smooth batter is formed. Pour into a jug.
- Preheat the oven to 220 C/425 F/Gas 7.
- Brush the 12-hole tartlet tin with oil. Add one sausage to each, put in the oven and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove the tin from the oven and immediately pour in the batter. Return to the oven and bake for 15 minutes, until risen and golden.
- Remove from oven. Loosen the edges. Serve with baked beans and green beans. But we actually just eat it without the bean as breakfast. :)
I reckon it is best served warm. So I usually wake up much earlier if I'm making this for breakfast for the day. It's actually nothing to shout about but kids love it (yeah they love the sausages actually. Hehehe.) but it's something quick and easy to make (which is good for me.) And 12 of them will be gone is just one morning. ^_^ Sometimes if I have I will add some sliced mushroom and cheese to it too. You also can try make it a large one, using 8in pie tin and put fruits (e.g. strawberry , banana) on it. But of course, that one should call a different name. :)